Thursday, August 9, 2007

Random Thoughts

Appearance::

When you r all dressed up ready to go somewhere, and u causally ask a friend, girlll,, how do I look?!! R we honestly expecting an answer, in my case.NOO..all I'm doing is (fishing for a compliment)),,(u look great)(amazing )or perfect as my friend once told me, b/c let's get real, it's not like I can do anything about it now, what! I'm I supposed to do rush bak home put on some more eye shadow, or wear something else…AGAIN nooo..!!
Some ppl can be real annoying and specific commenting that your make up looks pink when ur top is red ,or u r wearing high heels ,when u r already tall, which makes them look even shorter, I love my friends ,I want them all to look good ,but seriously why r u telling me this Now, when u r more than aware of how sensitive I am ,and how much I don't like these comments ,of course I don't care b/c at this point all I Can do is brush it off and forget what every1 have said!!


Marriage:


Me n my friends always joke about when r we going to tell each other about us getting engaged, a week be4 that ,a month ,or when he officially t asks 4 ur hand in marriage , most of us like r pretty much like Arabs ,u don't go out with him be4 he comes to your house ,don't talk to him behind your parents back and definitely, we won't have what the westerns (plus Somalis who live abroad think is soo ok )(((DATING)!!!
U go out with some dude and maybe once in a million u'll find a catch, fall in luv ,and get married ,but the harsh reality is most of em won't take u seriously or they'll think u r easy with no family to look out 4 u,a clean reputation is the best thing a girl can hope for before she gets married …
Soo bak to my topic,my opinion was I'll tell u the moment he comes to my house and we sense that he's serious ,but my girls disagree and basically told me we'll tell u after it happens b/c if it got cancelled ,which could happen for a number of reasons ,we're gonna look BAD!!!!!(even if things didn't work out between them ,I would luv to know… be her supporting shoulder ,be there for her,nobody seems to get my point of view !!!!!
lollll,come to think of it why r we even talking about this ,MAN!! we sound desperate ,,,axxx!!!

Friends ::


I've been hanging out with my friends for the last couple of weeks ,going nice places ,trying to make plans with them ,it's not an easy task, a lot of them r busy doing their own thing ,or too busy studying (I'm with them ,but let's just say I'm not an A student ,if u know what I mean) ,Somali girls r sure hard workers.. I mean I used to be like that at some point that's why I got into college (I got a scholarship),but once I got in my battery's ran out and I'm lazier than ever,I have a B average now which I'm pretty satisfied with ,al7emdellah,,,!!
Back to my friends my new friend ZEE is soo COOL ,we r already planning to hang out more next semester since it's my final course and to go out n stuff ,I luv that. she's like me ,up to everything ,fearless ,social(I'm real shy at first ,don't know how to approach ppl but once I finally get to know them .i can't seem to shut up),besides not that I'm picky or anything but many of the girls I met I haven't liked and the best part iz Zee DOESN'T like them either ,so hey..i'm normal,it's not me ,its them..loll
Finally I really appreciate my friends and I let them know it, if u haven't been honest with the ppl u like ,then who I'm I gonna be hones with t, being away from my sisters makes me lean o them more, ,mimi.,.fee,,zee,ash,fofo,,Inshallah years from now (whether we r still in touch or not..i'll remember them all with a Smile:-)…

3 comments:

Aya said...

Your friends sound super cool. It's interesting how the marriage/dating thing works. Is it true that the engagement period allows for some socializing with your future husband? I don't really know much about Kuwaiti traditions except for what is depicted on TV.

Hopeless Dreamer said...

hey aya..yaa..this IS the only period where u can really get to know your future husband ,u can talk on the phone, go out sometimes (like some Somali families do)but the truth is ,your parents won't feel comfortable with u 2 going out ..Even when you2 r officially engaged, cuz let's face with a girl who has no experience, he can talk her in to doing anything (u never know)..so nowadays ..till the (malak),shaikh..hears ur I DO(I accept this man)clearly, R not supposed to go out, n this process doesn't take long ,everything should be over in less than a yr(Somali ppl sure have ALOT of parties), or sooner..
U watch kw series!!. That's great. In Ramadan there r more than one show worth watching ,I'll keep u posted:-)

Aya said...

Yes, Dreamer, please keep me posted!

Very interesting. I think the restrictions during the engagement period seem to have a reasonable logic behind them. It really takes quite of bit of socializing with people from the other sex to know who's decent and who's a freak. I suppose the families' involvement weeds out some of that risk.

Looking forward to reading more!